Sharpe Bros. recently completed construction of a new segment of Bridford Parkway in Greensboro, NC. The project included two bridges crossing I-40/US-421 (left side of photo above) and improvements to the intersections and adjacent portions of Guilford College Road (below) and South Swing Road (bottom). (Photos by John Riley, Jr.)
Harsh winter conditions, such as snow, freezing temperatures or icy roads, make driving more challenging. Here are some tips to help you stay safer:
* Be sure your vehicle works properly. Check the battery, lights, belts, brakes, tires, wipers, defroster, heater and exhaust.
* Let someone know where youre going before setting out in bad weather.
* Have basic essentials in the vehicle with you: snow brush, ice scraper, shovel, sand, washer fluid, food, water, blankets, and extra clothing.
* Clear all snow and ice from vehicle before driving.
* Use your headlights and seat belts!
* Drive at a safe and appropriate speed for existing road and visibility conditions.
* If you have anti-lock brakes, apply even, steady pressure when stopping.
* If you do not have anti-lock brakes, pump the brake when stopping on slippery surfaces.
* If conditions become severe, find a safe place to park until they improve.